Wednesday, June 17, 2020

'Go With the Flow' the Graphic-Novel Period Book We All Need

Lily Williams and Karen Schneemann are the brilliant team behind Go With the Flow (First Second, 2020), the informative graphic novel that examines periods in all their embarrassing, confounding glory. While the four friends featured in the story are sophomores in high school, this book is the perfect thing to hand to middle-schoolers who want to learn more about the mysteries of menstruation, cramps, tampons, and fighting the system. While I know it's a fictional tale of friendship, I read it as a nonfiction primer on periods.

Abby, Brit, Christine, and Sasha challenge their school to put feminine hygiene front and center, and keep the tampon and pad machines stocked as a basic service (basic human right) for their students' well-being. Thought-provoking, humorous, spot on (okay, my puns are terrible), you can see how these talented author-illustrators did it via First Second's Comics Relief discussion. Well-written and beautifully illustrated in a palette of reds, Go With the Flow is the book I wish I'd had back in the day—and wish I could have shared with my daughter in her preteen years. A great pairing with American Girl's The Care and Keeping of You.


3 comments:

  1. I thought this one was fiction, so I'll have to go back and take a look. There is another new nonfiction title coming out in October- Welcome to Your Period, by Stones any Yang. E Arc on Netgalley now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, fiction but I felt it was so informative, I read it as if it were nonfiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Vegas Buffet - Dr.MCD
    The Buffet at the Wynn 상주 출장마사지 Las 원주 출장마사지 Vegas on Friday, 인천광역 출장마사지 December 18, 2021 in Las Vegas, 화성 출장안마 Nevada, 원주 출장마사지 USA. The Wynn Buffet: $38.99 ($40.99) - $39.99 · The Buffet at

    ReplyDelete